Catherine A. Mazzola, M.D. FAANS
Dr. Catherine Mazzola is certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgeons and the American Board of Pediatric Neurological Surgery. Dr. Mazzola completed her Pediatric Neurosurgical Fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh in 2002 and did her neurosurgery residency at New Jersey Medical School, under the supervision of Dr. Peter Carmel, the President of the AMA in 2011-2012. Dr. Mazzola served on the Executive Committee of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) and is an active member of the Executive Committee of the Council of State Neurosurgical Societies (CSNS). She is the Chair of the Medicolegal Committee of CSNS and is a member of the Ethics Committee of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS) and the Joint Guidelines Committee of the AANS/CNS. Her special interests include hydrocephalus, traumatic brain injury and concussion, pediatric brain and spine tumors, craniofacial surgery, plagiocephaly, torticollis, Chiari malformation, cerebral palsy, spina bifida, spine deformity, epilepsy surgery and the management of movement disorders such as dystonia and spasticity. Dr. Mazzola published several peer reviewed articles and presented at many national neuroscience meetings. Dr. Mazzola is involved in mentorship, training and education of pre-medical undergraduates, medical school students, and residents.
Dr. Catherine Mazzola is the founder of the Craniofacial Center at Goryeb Children’s Hospital, the Pediatric Brain and Spine Tumor Center (now called GNOP) and the Spasticity and Gait Disorder Center of Goryeb Children’s Hospital. She has been the Director of the Division of Pediatric Neurological Surgery since 2005. Dr. Mazzola serves Morristown Medical Center on the Operating Room Committee and she is a Member-at-Large of the Morris County Medical Society Executive Board.
Dr. Catherine Mazzola has gone on neurosurgical missionary trips to Kenya and is currently planning a mission trip to Cebu, Philippines, for pediatric neurosurgery outreach.
Dr. Catherine Mazzola serves on the Bergen County Republican Organization County Committee and is a member of Most Blessed Sacrament, where she taught CCD for four years. Dr. Mazzola grew up in Queens, NY and currently lives with her husband and five children in northern New Jersey. She is the founder, President and CEO of four LLC’s.
- The ABCs of Pediatric Head Trauma
- Critical care management of head trauma in children
- Revision surgery for chiari malformation decompression
- Efficacy of Neurosurgery Resident Education in the New Millennium
- Type A lmmunoglobulin Deficiency Presenting as a Mixed Polymicrobial Brain Abscess: Case Report
- Dermoid Inclusion Cysts and Early Spinal Cord Tethering After Fetal Surgery for Myelomeningocele
- Neurosurgeon and Student Perspective on the Current Medical Education in Neurosurgery
- Congress Quarterly – Protecting Your Online Identity
- Pediatric hydrocephalus: systematic literature review and evidence-based guidelines. Part 2: Management of posthemorrhagic hydrocephalus in premature infants
- Selective dorsal rhizotomy for spastic diplegia secondary to stroke in an adult patient
- Neurosurgery and Telemedicine in the United States of America: Assessment of the Risks and Opportunities